- Internships- I have already completed 3 Public Relations-related internships. My first internship was at City Hall, working for Council member Aaron Watson. My second internship was for an Atlanta-based online magazine, Layllah Magazine. And I am currently working as a Public Relation/Marketing intern at Merritt & Merritt Law Firm here in Statesboro.
- Networking- These internships have enabled me to network with numerous people who may assist me in the future. These people are contacts for potential employers, as well as the employers themselves.
- Job Postings- This may not seem like a way to secure a job, but I constantly check job postings, especially on Craigslist. Checking the postings help me to figure out what types of positions will be available when I graduate, and in what cities. I constantly receive e-mail updates from Creative Jobs Central, who post Marketing/Public Relations jobs. I also follow Market Jobs USA on Twitter, who post Marketing jobs and internships daily.
3 things I must do in the future to secure a job:
- Networking- I will continue to network anywhere that I can. I can never meet too many people, as they could all be of assistance to me at some point. As people say, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know”.
- Portfolio- I can continue building my resume with projects my current and future internships and classes. The more quality work I add to it, the more impressive it will be.
- Business cards- I want to create my own business cards to portray myself as a professional. This is the easiest way to network. I can always have them with me. If I happen to hand my card to the right person/people, it could land me a job.